To address these challenges, the energy sector must take a new approach. The Internet of Things (IoT) allows utilities to connect all their energy assets via wireless technologies to create smart energy ecosystems that integrate smart meters, smart power grids, storage and distribution facilities, power generation, and operations. The IoT enables new solutions such as:
- Distributed power generation that integrates renewable power sources, optimizes power generation with forecasting and streamlining production, and incorporates consumer-generated energy
- Automated distribution that improves grid and utilization, monitors events and alarms, and reduces energy theft
- Smart meters that deliver data to enable efficient energy management and encourage better consumer behaviors
- Dynamic load balancing and reducing peak consumption
- Self healing grids that manage recovery systems in case of outages or black-outs
Utilities and solution providers for smart energy systems can choose from a wide range of cellular technologies that meet different communication and intelligence requirements for assets ranging from endpoint devices to substations. Bandwidth, latency, memory, network coverage, and life cycle are all factors, but always adopt standards-based technologies to ensure interoperability, ease of provisioning, and scalability.
Sierra Wireless brings more than 20 years’ experience in the energy and utilities sector. We offer the broadest portfolio of wireless solutions, from mission-critical modules to an integrated device-to-cloud platform. Our IoT solutions help you build and manage an ecosystem that transforms your traditional energy business to one that’s ready to take advantage of opportunities in Smart Energy.